CASS & Friends Snowdon Triple Challenge
- The ultimate Snowdonia challenge in just one day
- Tackle all terrains as you cycle, trek and kayak in the heart of the wildness of Wales
- Conquer the summit of Snowdon, the highest peak in Wales at 1,085m
- Experience the beauty and the brawn of the UK’s best adventure playground
- Tackle this epic landscape all in support of CASS & Friends and help young atheletes
- A great package of £55pp registration fee and raise £500pp in sponsorship
Why just climb Snowdon when you can cycle around the base and kayak it’s stunning glacial formed lake all in one action filled day! Grab this opportunity to pit yourself against the spectacular landscape of Snowdonia National Park in this tough and exciting multi-activity challenge. The sense of achievement is huge as you conquer this 24.5 mile route of steep climbs, gruelling hills and paddle along one of the largest natural lakes in Wales.
In the lead up
- Discount on personal equipment from Cotswold Outdoor and Snow & Rock retail stores both in shop and online
- Personalised participant support
- Training advice
- Final details information detailing everything you need to know
- Public liability insurance
- Risk assessment and emergency management planning
On your challenge
- One night’s hotel accommodation prior to the challenge day (twin share basis)
- Cycle & mountain leaders and kayak instructors
- Hire bikes and helmets
- Kayaks, paddles and buoyancy aids
- Kayak briefing
- Full back-up support including first-aid qualified staff and first-aid supplies
- Entrance permission to national park & lake
- Dinner the night prior to your challenge
- Breakfast on the morning of the challenge
- Snacks, water and packed lunch during your challenge
- Luggage and bike transfer from cycling & trekking transition point
- Celebratory fizz on completion of your challenge
- All challenge management before, during and post event
Not included on your challenge
- Getting to and from Llanberis for the start & finish of the event
- Clothing and equipment listed on your Kit List
- Personal spending money
- Accommodation on Saturday 11th May. Adventurous Ewe can organise this for you, subject to availability. For more information please contact email@example.com
Arrival and preparation
Arrive in Llanberis in Snowdonia National Park. Llanberis is an area noted for its rugged beauty, very colourful high street and marked with numerous historic slate mines.
That evening you will receive a full event briefing from your locally based Mountain Leader to ensure they are well prepared for the following day’s challenge. You will take part in this event in teams and will be accompanied by your Leader for each section of the challenge. Dinner will then follow and is included with your package.
First leg – 12 miles cycling
- After an early start and a hearty breakfast you will be kitted out with your bike to tackle the first leg of your Snowdonia challenge.
- With Snowdon’s rugged peak looming behind you in the distance you will cycle along the shore of Llyn Padam (Llanberis Lake) passing the slate quarries of the Snowdonia National Park.
- You will cycle through small Welsh villages and tackle a step climb where you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the Welsh island, Anglesey.
- You will then have a sweeping descent before following the scenic route through stunning Welsh farmland to skirt the shores of Llyn Cwellyn.
Second leg – 10 miles mountain trekking
- Lying between the Snowdon Massif and Mynydd Mawr (Big Mountain), this is where you swap your bikes for boots and begin the ascent of Snowdon itself. Your climb will start on the quieter route of the Snowdon Ranger path, which is thought to be the earliest of the six main routes to the summit.
- The path climbs gradually up to, and around the slopes of Moel Cynghorion to Bwlch Cwm Brwynog. It then climbs steeply over the shoulder above Clogwyn Du’r Arddu before merging with the Llanberis path, and then on to the summit at 1,085metres.
- From the highest point in Wales your view will take in the surrounding lakes and cwms and, weather permitting, some of the most extensive views in the British Isles.
- On a clear day you can see four kingdoms, 24 counties, 29 lakes and 17 islands!
- Following your obligatory photo snap at the summit of Snowdon, your descent takes you down the Llanberis Path which is the longest and most gradual path offering fantastic views of Cwm Brwynog, Llanberis and over the Menai straights towards Anglesey.
Third and final leg – 2.5 miles kayaking
- After conquering the infamous Snowdon, you will trek to the shores of Llyn Padarn for the final leg of your challenge – a 2.5 mile kayak.
- You will be kitted out for the water element of your event and following a thorough kayak briefing you will paddle across the lake in double sit-on-top kayaks. This is the perfect well earned rest for those legs after your bike and mountain climb.
- Llyn Padarn is a magnificent glacially formed lake nestled amidst some of Snowdonia’s most spectacular scenery. Weather permitting, you may catch a glimpse of the summit of Snowdon which gives an incredible sense of achievement.
- On returning to the shores you can celebrate the completion of this epic Welsh challenge with your fellow team mates, before being transferred back to your hotel ready for some hot food prior to your return coach journey to Boots.
The terrain on this challenge varies throughout and can be rough at times, so preparation is ideal!
- Cycling leg – undulating course with one steep climb
- Trekking leg – summiting Snowdon which involves some steep ascents & descents and rocky terrain
- Kayaking leg – participants will start their kayak leg in a sheltered bay before heading out onto the lake in order to practice their paddling skills. Sweeping close to the lake shore, participants will paddle the length of the lake and back which can prove challenging due to the water flow. Your kayaking instructor/s will accompany you during this section.
Equipment of good quality and durability could make the difference between a fantastic challenge experience and an uncomfortable one. A full kit list will be provided together with discount codes to use outdoor retail stores, Cotwolds Outdoor and Snow & Rock, both in store and online.
Your kit will be transferred from each of the transition points in the support van.
Hire bikes and helmets will be provided. Bikes will be sized according to your height. All bikes will be transferred from the cycling/trekking transition point back to the hotel for secure storage.
You will have time to change from your cycling gear to trekking kit and leave kit in the support van. It is essential that you have a waterproof jacket and trousers, hiking boots, warm clothing and be prepared for all weather conditions on the mountain.
All kayaking equipment will be provided including a buoyancy aid. Shoes must be worn during this challenge so it’s ideal to change back into your trainers as they will get wet.
Weather and Safety
The weather in Wales can change very quickly, what can start out as a good day can soon become very poor. It is very important to be well equipped and prepared for all weather conditions. The Leaders reserves the right to change the itinerary at any time should the conditions require it. In these circumstances we will make the best alternative arrangements possible that maintain the integrity of the original itinerary.
On arrival in Llanberis you will be staying in a 3* Hotel accommodation in twin en-suite rooms and dinner is included on the night of your arrival. If you wish to stay the second night following your challenge, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and availability. This additional night’s stay will be at an extra expense and dinner is not included.
To book on this exciting challenge and support CASS & Friends, please register online. You will need to pay a non-refundable registration fee of £55.00pp at the time of booking. You will then need to raise a minimum of £500pp in sponsorship for CASS & Friends in support of young athletes. All sponsorship money is to be sent directly to CASS & Friends.