Freeths Snowdon Triple Challenge
(Click to expand)
Warning: simplexml_load_string(): Entity: line 1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /home/adewe/public_html/wp-content/themes/divi-child/challenge-dates.php on line 25
Warning: simplexml_load_string(): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> in /home/adewe/public_html/wp-content/themes/divi-child/challenge-dates.php on line 25
Warning: simplexml_load_string(): ^ in /home/adewe/public_html/wp-content/themes/divi-child/challenge-dates.php on line 25
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/adewe/public_html/wp-content/themes/divi-child/challenge-dates.php on line 27
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/adewe/public_html/wp-content/themes/divi-child/challenge-dates.php on line 27
- Exclusive event for Freeths
- Tackle all terrains as you cycle, trek and kayak in the heart of the wildness of Wales
- Conquer the summit of Snowdon, the highest peak in Wales at 1,085m
- Experience the beauty and the brawn of the UK’s best adventure playground
- Tackle this epic landscape all in support of Mind
- Registration fee: £50 per person
- Fundraise: £250 per person to help Mind provide better better mental health
The ultimate way to experience the rugged landscape of Snowdonia National Park with this cycling, trekking and kayaking adventure. Discover some of the stunning hidden pockets of Snowdonia with cycling around the base of Snowdon, trekking to the summit of the highest mountain in Wales and kayaking the stunning glacial formed lake. All in just one action filled day!
You don’t have to be a pro at cycling or kayaking, just have an adventurous spirit which will see you conquer this 24-mile route in the epic Snowdonian landscape in teams from Freeths and in support of Mind.
In the lead up
- Fundraising support from Mind
- Training programme
- Final details digital info pack detailing everything you need to know
- Discount on personal equipment from ashmei, Cotswold Outdoor and Snow & Rock retail stores, both in shop and online
- Public liability insurance
- Risk assessment and emergency management planning
On your challenge
- One night’s hotel accommodation prior to the challenge day (twin share basis)
- Meet the team and full event briefing the night prior to your challenge
- Qualified Cycle & Mountain Leaders and Kayak Instructors
- Kayaks, paddles and buoyancy aids
- Kayak instruction
- Full back-up support including first-aid qualified staff and first-aid supplies
- Entrance permission to national park & lake
- Breakfast on the morning of the challenge
- Snacks, water and packed lunch during your challenge
- Luggage and bike transfer from cycling & trekking transition point
- Celebratory fizz and a hot snack on completion of your challenge
- All challenge management before, during and post event
Not included on your challenge
- Travel to and from the event start and finish in Llanberis, North Wales
- Dinner the night prior to your challenge
- Clothing and equipment listed on your Kit List
- Hire bikes and helmets are available at £25 per bike. To book your bike, simply email us at email@example.com
- Personal spending money.
Arrival and preparation
Participants to make their way to Llanberis in Snowdonia National Park. Llanberis is an area noted for its rugged beauty, very colourful high street and marked with numerous historic slate mines.
That evening you will meet the team and receive a full event briefing from your locally based Mountain Leader to ensure you are well prepared for the following day’s challenge. You are then welcome to make your own arrangements for dinner which will be at your own expense.
First leg – 12 miles cycling
- After an early start and a hearty breakfast you will be kitted out with your bike to tackle the first leg of your Snowdonia challenge.
- With Snowdon’s rugged peak looming behind you in the distance you will cycle along the shore of Llyn Padam (Llanberis Lake) passing the slate quarries of the Snowdonia National Park.
- You will cycle through small Welsh villages and tackle a step climb where you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the Welsh island, Anglesey.
- You will then have a sweeping descent before following the scenic route through stunning Welsh farmland to skirt the shores of Llyn Cwellyn.
Second leg – 10 miles Snowdon trek
- Lying between the Snowdon Massif and Mynydd Mawr (Big Mountain), this is where you swap your bikes for boots and begin the ascent of Snowdon itself. Your climb will start on the quieter route of the Snowdon Ranger path, which is thought to be the earliest of the six main routes to the summit.
- The path climbs gradually up to, and around the slopes of Moel Cynghorion to Bwlch Cwm Brwynog. It then climbs steeply over the shoulder above Clogwyn Du’r Arddu before merging with the Llanberis path, and then on to the summit at 1,085metres.
- From the highest point in Wales your view will take in the surrounding lakes and cwms and, weather permitting, some of the most extensive views in the British Isles.
- On a clear day you can see four kingdoms, 24 counties, 29 lakes and 17 islands!
- Following your obligatory photo snap at the summit of Snowdon, your descent takes you down the Llanberis Path which is the longest and most gradual path offering fantastic views of Cwm Brwynog, Llanberis and over the Menai straights towards Anglesey.
Third and final leg – 2.5 miles kayaking
- After conquering the infamous Snowdon, you will trek to the shores of Llyn Padarn for the final leg of your challenge – a 2.5 mile kayak.
- You will be kitted out for the water element of your event and following a thorough kayak briefing you will paddle across the lake in double sit-on-top kayaks. This is the perfect well earned rest for those legs after your bike and mountain climb.
- Llyn Padarn is a magnificent glacially formed lake nestled amidst some of Snowdonia’s most spectacular scenery. Weather permitting, you may catch a glimpse of the summit of Snowdon which gives an incredible sense of achievement.
- On returning to the shores you can celebrate the completion of this epic Welsh challenge with your fellow team mates.
The terrain on this challenge varies throughout and can be rough at times, so preparation is ideal!
- Cycling leg – undulating course with one steep climb
- Trekking leg – summiting Snowdon which involves some steep ascents & descents and rocky terrain
- Kayaking leg – you will start your kayak leg in a sheltered bay before heading out onto the lake in order to practice your paddling skills in double sit-on-top kayaks. Sweeping close to the lake shore, you will paddle the length of the lake and back which can prove challenging due to the water flow.
Equipment of good quality and durability could make the difference between a fantastic challenge experience and an uncomfortable one. Your kit will be transferred from each of the transition points in the support van.
You are welcome to bring your own bike or hire bikes and helmets are available at a cost of £25 each. This includes a hybrid or mountain bike, helmet, drop off and pick up of bikes. Bikes will be sized according to your height. To book your hire bike, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All bikes will be transferred from the cycling/trekking transition point back to the hotel for secure storage.
You will have time to change from your cycling gear to trekking kit and leave kit in the support van. It is essential that you have a waterproof jacket and trousers, hiking boots, warm clothing including beanie hat and gloves and be prepared for all weather conditions on the mountain.
All kayaking equipment will be provided including a buoyancy aid. Shoes must be worn during this challenge so it’s ideal to change back into your trainers as they will get wet.
Weather and Safety
The weather in Wales can change very quickly, what can start out as a good day can soon become very poor, especially in the mountains. It is very important to be well equipped and prepared for all weather conditions – heat, sunshine, wind and rain. The Leaders reserve the right to change the itinerary at any time should the conditions require it. In these circumstances we will make the best alternative arrangements possible that maintain the integrity of the original itinerary.
On arrival in Llanberis you will be staying in a 3* Hotel accommodation in twin en-suite rooms.
PAYMENT AND SPONSORSHIP
- Participants are to pay the registration fee of £50 per person when booking on the challenge and pledge to raise a minimum of £250pp in sponsorship for Mind. Participants will need to send their sponsorship money directly to Mind as part of the Freeths corporate partnership. Any additional sponsorship you can raise will be greatly appreciated and help provide a better life for people affected by mental illness
- If fundraising online, please use Justgiving as Freeths will have a team page for this event.