Mental Health UK Snowdon Sea to Summit
- Join the Mental Health UK Team and tackle this class Sea to Summit Challenge in the heart of Snowdonia
- Starting from the iconic medieval fortification of Conwy Castle on the picturesque North Wales coast
- Pedal 24 miles through the stunning landscape of Snowdonia National Park to arrive at the base of Snowdon
- Lace up your hiking boots to conquer the highest peak in Wales, Snowdon at 1085m
- Experience two routes on Snowdon as your ascent is via the Llanberis Path and descent is via the Pyg Track
- Take on this epic sea to summit challenge all in support of Mental Health UK
- Registration fee: £55 per person
- Fundraise: £350pp to help provide a better life for people with mental illness
In the lead up to your event
– Fundraising support from Mental Health UK
– Training programme
– Final details digital info pack detailing everything you need to know
– Discount on personal equipment from ashmei, Cotswold Outdoor and Snow & Rock retail stores, both in shop and online
– Public liability insurance
– Risk assessment and emergency management planning
On your event
– Certified Cycling and Mountain Leaders
– Support vehicle & driver
– 1 night’s accommodation on a twin share basis the night prior to your event
– Event briefing the night prior to your event
– Breakfast on the morning of your event
– Packed lunch
– Checkpoint snacks and water
– Bike transfers
– First aid qualified crew and medical supplies
– Safety and risk management
– Travel to and from the start and finish of the event
– Dinner the night prior to the event
– Clothing and equipment on your kit list
– Bike and helmet hire. This can organised at £35 per set. Please let us know if you require bike hire at the time of registration
– Personal spending money.
How to book your challenge
To book onto this exciting challenge, simply sign up online via the ‘Book Now’ button on this web-page. A registration fee of £55 per person is payable at the time of booking. Please note, this registration fee is non-refundable.
Minimum Sponsorship details
- Participants are to pay the registration fee of £55pp when booking on the challenge and pledge to raise a minimum of £350pp in sponsorship for Mental Health UK. Participants will need to send their sponsorship money directly to Mental Health UK. Please send at least 80% (£280) of the minimum sponsorship required to Mental Health UK 5 weeks (23 August 2019) prior to the event, and the remaining 20% (£70) within 4 weeks (25 October 2019) of completing the challenge. Any additional sponsorship you can raise will be greatly appreciated and help provide a better life for everyone affected by mental illness.
- If participants have raised the necessary funds, Mental Health UK will then pay the balance of the event costs 4 weeks prior to the event date. Mental Health UK benefits by keeping the remaining sponsorship money and every pound over and above what participants raise. Thank you.
Conwy – Llanberis – Snowdon – Conwy
Your challenge begins today at the impressively preserved 13th-century estuary fortress of Conwy Castle which is amongst the finest surviving medieval fortifications in Britain. Cycling in teams with your dedicated and certified Cycling Leader, you will following the coast line with views of Anglesey and the Menai Straits and pedal into the heart of Snowdonia. Cycling along cycle paths through the foothills of the Carnedd Mountain Range you will experience the amazing scenery of the Welsh countryside leading you towards the base of Snowdon. Pedalling along the shores of Llyn Padarn you will finish your 24 mile bike route at the National Slate Museum in Llanberis. Here you will have the chance to enjoy a packed lunch with the back drop of the National Park before starting your mountain trek.
Cycle start: Conwy Castle, Conwy
Cycle finish: National Slate Museum, Llanberis
Cycle distance: approx 24 miles
Cycle time: approx 2 hours
Meeting the support vehicle at the National Slate Museum you will swap your bike for your hiking boots to start the ascent of Snowdon. Your ascent of the highest mountain in Wales at 1085m will be via the Llanberis Path. The trek to the summit will take approximately 3 – 3.5 hours and involves 975 metres of ascent. On summiting you will have the chance to enjoy the breath taking views of Snowdonia National Park and the North Wales Coastline. You will then descend via the Pyg Track to arrive at Pen-Y-Pass. This gives you the chance to experience two different routes on this iconic mountain. The descent should take approximately 2.5 – 3 hours. You will be greeted at the finish line with a well deserved celebratory glass of bubbly before being transferred back to Conwy filled with the pride of completing this challenge in support of Mental Health UK.
Trek start: National Slate Museum via the Llanberis Path
Trek finish: Pen-Y-Pass via the Pyg Track
Trek distance: approx 9 miles
Trek ascent: 975m
Trek time: 5.5 – 6 hours
We strongly recommend that you use a road or hybrid bike as opposed to a mountain bike for cycling section of this challenge due to the distance involved. The route is approximately 24 miles along roads and cycle paths.
It’s important that you ride the bike you have been training on so you are used to it. Although training in the gym is useful, there is no substitute for getting out in all weather conditions and getting to know your bike including the range of your gears.
Hire bikes are available at a cost £35.00 which includes a cycling helmet, delivery and collection. To reserve your bike, please let us know at the time of booking or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your height information so we can
Bike repairs during the event
You will need your own puncture repair kit and spare inner tubes for this event. Our support vehicle will carry a limited range of spares along with a full tool kit. However, it is impossible for us to carry spares for every eventuality so it is vital that you check your own bike is in good working order before the event.
It is a condition of taking part in this event that you wear a helmet it at all times whilst cycling, with the straps done up!
The trekking section of the challenge will take place on Snowdon, the highest mountain in England and Wales at 1085 metres. It is a steady climb via the Llanberis Path to the summit which should take approximately 3 hours. The descent is via the Pyg Track allowing you to experience two different routes on Snowdon. Your descent will take approximately 2.5 hours finishing at Pen-Y-Pass from where you will be transferred back to Conwy.
The trek will be led by certified local Mountain Leaders.
Weather and Safety
The weather in Wales can change very quickly, what can start out as a good day can soon become very poor, particularly in the mountains. It is very important to be well equipped and prepared for all weather conditions. Please ensure you have all the essential clothing and equipment detailed on your Kit List.
The Leader/s reserves the right to change the itinerary at any time should the conditions require it. In these circumstances we will make the best alternative arrangements possible that maintain the integrity of the original itinerary.
Adventurous Ewe Leaders
Your Adventurous Ewe Leaders will accompany the Mental Health UK teams at all times on the cycling and trekking legs. Your Leaders are all certified, have first aid qualifications and are locally based. They will carry a medical kit however it is essential that you have your own personal first aid kit as well.
On arrival in Conwy you will be staying in nearby hotel accommodation on a twin share basis. We can offer single rooms on request, subject to availability at an additional cost. Please note, dinner is not included on your night of arrival giving you the flexibility to eat at your own leisure.