Tour de Try – in support of World Child Cancer
Tour de Try is an exclusive cycling event for Galliford Try Partnerships employees only.
Friday 28th September 2018
- The ultimate grand finale to Galliford Try Partnership’s 850 mile Cycling Challenge
- Cycle the final stage of 60 miles from Barnstaple to Exeter
- Beginner to experienced cyclists are all very welcome
- Taking in the famous Tarka Trail and the edges of Dartmoor National Park
- Conquer the stunning and undulating landscape to finish at Head Office
- Tackle this epic landscape all in support of World Child Cancer
- Enjoy a well earned celebration event on the completion of your bike journey
- Fundraise £350 per person to support children with cancer, and their families worldwide
- Bike and helmet hire available at £35 per set
- Qualified Cycling Leader/s
- Bike mechanic/s
- Cycling support crew
- Route map and GPX file of route for all participants
- Event and safety briefing
- Radio communications
- Support vehicles
- Checkpoint with drinking water
- Lunch stop (catering provided by Galliford Try Partnerships)
- First aid qualified crew
- Group first aid supplies including med kit
- Relevant back-up facilities and incident management
- Public Liability insurance
- Risk Assessments and Safety Management
- Discount codes for Cotswolds Outdoor and Cycle Surgery retail stores
- Please note, reasonable travel and accommodation expenses can be submitted to Galliford Try Partnerships for this event
What’s not included
- Bike hire. This is available at £35 per bike including bike, helmet, delivery and collection
- Any other items not included in the event documentation
- Personal spending money
Galliford Try Partnership’s Cycling Challenge from Barnstaple to Exeter
A scenic 60 mile route along National Cycling Routes and roadways
940 metres ascent and 900 metres descent
You will make your own way to the starting point in the stunning river port town of Barnstaple for your exciting one day cycling challenge. From here you will set off from a location near Barnstaple train station at 10.00am accompanied by your qualified Cycling Leader, support crew and armed with a GPX file of your route. Your cycling journey starts with taking the picturesque route along the Tarka Trail, one of the country’s longest continuous traffic-free walking and cycling paths and set in an area of outstanding natural beauty. This route gives you superb views across the River Taw and features several wonderful sculptures and shelters created for the path. The initial gentle ride hugs the coast and the edge of the Torridge estuary. There are numerous wind protected rest points along the way if you need. Bideford towards Torrington has numerous crossing points over the River Torridge and its tributaries and remains a relatively pleasant ride on a good surface.
At 15 miles on the approach to Great Torrington you will be greeted with a water stop where you can fill up your water bottles prior to starting the more challenging section of the route. The scenery is spectacular passing through woodlands, under bridges and into the open countryside as you gradually make your way uphill. Following the undulating route through the centre of Devon, you will pass the halfway point and be rewarded with a lunch break near Okehampton. Lunch will be provided by Galliford Try Partnerships. This will then prepare you for another uphill section taking you into the stunning Dartmoor National Park. The park is renowned for it’s open moorlands, forests and deep river valleys, with a rich history and sightings of rare wildlife. Nearing the completion of your cycle, you will tackle your final climb into Tedburn St Mary before enjoying the wonderful descent into Exeter with a feeling of great accomplishment.
A celebration event will be held near Galliford Try Partnerhips’ Exeter Office, where you can be extremely proud of both your cycling and fundraising efforts in support of World Child Cancer.
This is set to be an exciting finale to Galliford Try Partnership’s Cycling Challenge. In order to make the most of this final day, please ensure you are well prepared with sufficient training and suitable cycling kit. If you have any questions during your preparations, please feel free to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help ensure you are all set for your exciting day in the saddle.
You are welcome to provide your own bikes and cycling gear or hire bikes and helmets may be provided at an extra cost of £35 per bike. This includes a hybrid bike, helmet and delivery of both items. Bikes will be sized according to your height.
The cycling route will be along Sustran’s cycling routes and roadways.
Weather and Safety
The weather in the UK can change very quickly, what can start out as a good day can soon become very poor. It is very important to be well equipped and prepared for all weather conditions. The Leaders reserves the right to change the itinerary at any time should the conditions require it. In these circumstances we will make the best alternative arrangements possible that maintain the integrity of the original itinerary.
For tips on cycling safety, please visit https://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-you-can-do/cycling/cycling-safety-and-rules/road-safety-cyclists
PAYMENT AND SPONSORSHIP
- Participants are to pay the registration fee of £50 per person when booking on the challenge and pledge to raise a minimum of £350 per person in sponsorship for World Child Cancer. Participants will need to send their sponsorship money directly to World Child Cancer. Any additional sponsorship you can raise will be greatly appreciated and help even more children affected by cancer and their families worldwide.
- For any fundraising support or guidance with setting up your fundraising page, please contact Dave Sculthorpe at World Child Cancer per the details below:
Dave Sculthorpe, Corporate Account Manager
Tel: +44 203 965 5291