Wellbeing of Women Jurassic Coast Trek
- Hike along the challenging but magnificent Jurassic Coast, England’s first UNESCO designated natural World Heritage Site
- Trek the truly stunning coastline with rocks recording 185 million years of the Earth’s history
- Experience one of the most geologically diverse coastlines in the world
- Pass Durdle Door, one of the Jurassic Coast’s most iconic landscapes with it’s natural limestone arch standing almost vertically out of the sea
- With a more recent history of mining, shipwrecks and smuggling, this is a remarkable stretch of coastline provides a scenic base for a challenging trek
- Tackle this epic landscape all in support of Wellbeing of Women
- Fundraise £600pp to help improve the health of women and babies by funding medical research into women’s reproductive health and childbirth
Grab this opportunity to pit yourself against the spectacular landscape of the Jurassic Coast in this impressive yet quite tough one day challenge. The sense of achievement is enormous as you conquer this 26-mile route of steep ascents and descents on the English coastline.
Registration fee: £65 per person payable on signing up and is non refundable (this goes towards the non-refundable accommodation deposit)
Sponsorship: £600 per person sponsorship pledge for Wellbeing of Women. Please send all sponsorship monies directly to Wellbeing of Women. Thank you
In the lead up
- Fundraising support from Wellbeing of Women
- Training programme
- All event information available through our mobile phone app, Vamoos
- Discount code on kit & equipment from independent outdoor retailers Joe Brown’s and The Climbers Shop, both in shop and online
- Discount code on ashmei athletic apparel
- Public liability insurance
- Risk assessment and emergency management planning
On your challenge
- Two night’s hostel accommodation (dorm share basis)
- Meet the team and full event briefing the night prior to your challenge
- Qualified Mountain Leaders
- Transfers to and from the trek start and finish from Lulworth Cove YHA
- All meals as outlined in your itinerary
- Checkpoints and refreshment breaks
- Full back-up support including first-aid qualified staff and first-aid supplies
- All safety and risk management
Not included on your challenge
- Travel to and from Lulworth Cove YHA
- Dinner the night prior to your challenge
- Clothing and equipment listed on your Kit List
- Personal spending money.
Trek preparation, dinner & accommodation
Arrival at the picturesque Lulwoth Cove YHA in the late afternoon or early evening, which is located just 1 mile from the famous stone bridge of Durdle Door. You are welcome to explore the area if you arrive early.
That evening you will receive a full event briefing from your Adventurous Ewe Mountain Leader to ensure you are well prepared for the following day’s challenge. You are welcome to ask any questions about the event during this briefing. Dinner to follow at your own expense.
- After an early start and a hearty breakfast you will be transferred to the seaside town of Weymouth for the start of your 26 mile trekking challenge. Trekking along the scenic path you will pass through coastal hamlet of Osmingtom Mills leaving the magnificent views of Weymouth Bay behind you
- With the path hugging the coastline you will spot one of Dorset’s most photographed and iconic landmarks, Durdle Door, an impressive natural limestone arch
- Having a break from the coastal cliffs, you will trek the undulating green hills before reaching the clear blue waters and beautiful white pebble beach of Lulworth Cove, marking approximately the halfway point of your trek
- Following more of the coastline before heading inland, you will continually climb and descend the steep hills of the Jurassic Coast before reaching your finishing point at Corfe Castle
- Corfe Castle is a fortification standing above the village of the same name on the Isle of Purbeck in the English county of Dorset. Built by William the Conqueror, the castle dates to the 11th century and commands a gap in the Purbeck Hills on the route between Wareham and Swanage
- On completion of your trek you will be transferred back to your accommodation at Lulworth Cove for a well earned rest.
Meals: Breakfast included packed lunch included
Distance covered: Approx. 26 miles
Trekking time: Approx. 7 – 9 hours
Crew: Adventurous Ewe Mountain Leader/s and support crew
After breakfast we bid farewell to our new found challenge friends and begin the journey home.
What is the group size?
The minimum number of participants for this event is 20 people. The maximum group size is 20 people. You will be accompanied by Adventurous Ewe Mountain Leaders at all times during your trek. Leader to trekker ration 12:1
Who will be leading the group?
We employ experienced and fully qualified Mountain Leaders to accompany and lead you. They are Mountain First Aid trained and have extensive experience in leading in the mountains and the three peaks challenge. They will be ultimately responsible for your safety on the trek and the rest of the group. They will be carrying full safety equipment and mountain first aid kits.
How many breaks will be taken during the trek and for how long?
The timing of breaks is quite liberal and there will be scheduled breaks for 5 minutes, the exact times and places of your breaks will very much depend on the weather and the well-being of your group. When ascending and descending in order to maintain a healthy and steady pace.
Weather and Safety
The weather along the Jurassic Coast can change very quickly, what can start out as a good day can soon become very poor, especially along the coast. It is very important to be well equipped and prepared for all weather conditions – heat, sunshine, wind and rain. The Leaders reserve the right to change the itinerary at any time should the conditions require it. In these circumstances we will make the best alternative arrangements possible that maintain the integrity of the original itinerary.
On arrival you will be staying in a local hostel in same sex dorm room style accommodation.
PAYMENT AND SPONSORSHIP
Minimum Sponsorship details
- Participants are to pay the registration fee of £65pp when booking on the challenge which is non-refundable and pledge to raise a minimum of £600pp in sponsorship for Wellbeing of Women. Participants will need to send their sponsorship money directly to Wellbeing of Women. Please send at least 80% (£480) of the minimum sponsorship required to Wellbeing of Women 5 weeks prior to the event, and the remaining 20% (£120) within 4 weeks of completing the challenge. Any additional sponsorship you can raise will be greatly appreciated and help further work of Wellbeing of Women
- If participants have raised the necessary funds, Wellbeing of Women will then pay the balance of the event costs 4 weeks prior to the event date. Wellbeing of Women benefits by keeping the remaining sponsorship money and every pound over and above what you fundraise. Thank you.